Tuesday, October 22, 2013

College Town Quicky: Colombia, Missouri

Last week I stopped by one of the breweries in the college town of Columbia Missouri.  Things...er... could have been better.  One beer, in particular, could have been better.

I was able to quickly stop by another brewpub in the town... possibly to get the taste out of my mouth.  I didn't have a lot of time to spend, so I only had a very small cross section of their beers but, from what I could find, I should have stopped at Flat Branch Brewing instead.

It was a bigger joint.  The food wasn't quite up to the same level as Broadway, but I had a shrimp po' boy and was quite happy.  I was all the happier since I didn't have a beer that made be think of licking a... you know what.  Let's just get on to the beer.

Oil Change Stout: Charcoal chocolate aroma.  Nice full bodied stout with a smooth, unsweetened chocolate and roasted grain flavor.

Honey Wheat: Very, very light grassy aroma.  The sweet honey flavor is prominent here along with some slight grassy hop notes.  Extremely flavorful for the style and, I think, what most people might expect when the phrase 'Honey Wheat Beer' is thrown around.

Green Chile: I always love a nice pepper ale.  It doesn't have to be complex, and this one clearly isn't, but a good chili beer awesome in its own rite.  Light malt backs up and restrains the chilies here making for a nice refreshing lighter beer with a hint of spice.

ESB: Started with a fruity caramel aroma.  The fruit really hit up front and slid slowly into the 'B' in ESB.  The hops in back had some pine and herbal flavors that really stood up well to the sweet fruity malts at the top.  All in all a nice, flavorful beer.

Anyway, that's all from Missouri for now.  It's Ohio for the next couple weeks.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment