Friday, April 5, 2013

Mountain Time: Colorado

Quick one this week. A solid work schedual has made it tough to sit down to a quality pint.

But I did grab a couple as I hurried through Idaho Springs, a small ski row just up.the mountain from Denver.

Tommyknocker Brewing has a number of things going for it. Number one, I think they were running one of the brew kettles at the time because the area around it smelled wonderful. It's got a groovy rustic mining town atmosphere. Best of all, lots of good beer.

I had to rush through, so I could only sample two of the ten or so beers they had on tap. It was a good sample, but there so much more awesomeness still waiting therein.

Rye Porter: it came out black with a sweet ,caramel, woody aroma. Sweet woody flavors with roasted barley and a slight peppery flavor. Not terribly different from a typical Porter, but enough to be interesting.

Oatmeal Stout: Getting my dark beer fix out if my system before warm weather has me reaching for lighter beer. Very light sweet aroma here. Slightly fruity, almost wine flavor right on top. Caramel and roasted flavors bring up the rear and leave a kind of lingering burnt wood flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment