Friday, February 22, 2013

Tengo Gatos in Mis Pantalones: San Jose, California

There was absolutely no reason for that title at all... I mean none.  I mean, other then the fact that the brewery I am talking about this week is called Los Gatos, but even that isn't an excuse.  A very real part of me that never matured past the age of about six demanded I commit that phrase to print.

Anyway, yes, this week it's Los Gatos Brewing Company in San Jose.

I wanted to talk about this place last week, but on the day I went to slip inside for a pint or two I found out that the bar was closed due to a company party... the entire bar.  That was probably a bad sign.

When I stopped by again, I was rather disappointed by their selection.  They only had four beers on tap, and I only had the urge to try three of them.  What can I say?  I doubt that this brewery, of all breweries is going to redefine the pilsner style for me.

Also there was the price.  This bar, she be pricy.  That, in and of itself is not unusual in the world of craft brewing; you get what you pay for after-all.  The beer here was good, but not that special and the food was sub-par for the price.

All in all, this is a place where people with big-important downtown jobs go after work to talk about how important their jobs are.  Not really my environ.


DunkleWeisen
Cats Meow Continental Ale: The term 'continental ale' was new to me as well.  The bartender gave me a long description of the style that basically boiled down to this:  The brewer got tired of calling it an octoberfest, so he calls it a 'continental ale.'
Okay to be fair, it's kind of an amber crossed with a pale.  The aroma was grassy and the flavor was dominated by a grassy, pine hop profile.  The beer finished very bitter.

DunkleWeisen:  I have notice that I have a love-hate relationship with this style.  Well, maybe not love-hate, per se.  It's more like a love-...meh, relationship. The aroma was wonderful, like a chocolate covered bananna.  The flavor is a bit of a let down as it lacks some of the intensity of the aroma.  But it does have a nice malty taste with just a hint of clove spice.

Wild Bay
Wild Bay Mild Ale:  This beer was available on tap or cask-conditioned, so I went with the latter.  It came out with a toasted, caramel aroma.  It was malty off the top with some woody oak or hickory flavors combined with a bit of leather.  It finished with a bite of bitter hops.






So, meh not really my top ten.  But lest this post come across as overly negative; one thing I did like was the men's bathroom door.  So... you know.  That's something.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment