Friday, December 2, 2011

The Coldest Winter: San Diego, CA

I'm down in San Diego this week. As a man who is used to spending the winter freezing my freaking balls right off, San Diego in December is kinda surreal. It is as if I just skipped winter all together and emerged in springtime. As I am sure my readers in the frigid northlands have absolutely no sympathy for me, I will move on.

Of course the pirmier brewery in San Diego is Stone Brewing. I thought hard about visiting, but I came down with a sudden case of not wanting to try and fight crowds on a Friday night in San Diego...itis. Its been going around. Besides, the West Coast is basically the micro brewery breeding grounds. I was talking to my client this afternoon. After the meeting I stated that I was going to find a place to relax. As if she knew exactly what I meant by that statement, she pointed me to a nearby microbrewery called Callahan's pub and grill.

Callahan's is a vaugly Irish themed sports bar that happens to brew its own beer.
I started off with the Monster Mash. As near as I could tell this was basically a porter. There was lots of caramel toffee and coffee aroma. Mildly sweet roasted flavor. Slightly bitter coffee flavors on the back. This was a pretty good one, and came just behind the nut brown, which I will talk about later.

Extra Pale Ale: Not expecially pale. Aroma is all northeast citrus hops.
I have to admit when the barman, Ted, said the name "Extra Pale Ale". and described it as "kinda like an IPA," I was scared. Was there a brewer out there who wussified the IPA? A man who sipped a hop bomb and said, "That won't do, there is far too much flavor!"
The answer is, no. This is just an IPA with vowel replacement identity disorder. It has a medium body that helps balance out the generous load of citrus hops. Kind of a middle-of-the-road IPA.

Nameless Nut Brown
This quickly became my favorite. True to form it has a very light roasted aroma. It feels like there is light fruit off the top, slightly toasted flavor, and just a hint of spice. Has a warming quality that would be great on a winter night... Not that anyone here would know.

No comments:

Post a Comment